FSA Debit Card

Frequently Asked Questions

What is an FSA debit card?

An FSA debit card is a MasterCard that allows you to pay for eligible expenses.

FSA expenses directly at the point of service, and deducts the funds directly from your FSA account. This way, you avoid the traditional problems of an FSA, such as paying cash for services (in addition to your payroll deduction) and waiting for a reimbursement.

All FSA debit cards can be used for eligible health expenses.

How do I receive my FSA debit card?

Cards will be mailed directly to your home address in a generic envelope. Most employers provide 2 cards, and they will arrive in separate envelopes. If TaxSaver Plan has your email address on file, we’ll send you an email alert when the cards are mailed. If your cards don’t arrive as expected, please contact TaxSaver Plan’s customer care department and find out when the cards were mailed to you.

How many FSA debit cards will I receive?

Most employers provide 2 cards for your convenience. The cards have different account numbers, but are linked to the same FSA account. The participant’s name will be on both cards, but your spouse or legal tax dependent may use either card at any eligible provider. These cards may be used to pay for out-of-pocket medical, prescription, dental and vision FSA expenses only.

Will I receive a new FSA debit card each Plan Year?

No, there is an expiration date printed on the card. A new card will be issued 30 days prior to that expiration date or as soon as your election for the next plan year is reported to TaxSaver Plan.

Where can I use my FSA debit card?

You may use your FSA debit card at doctor and dentist offices, pharmacies, and vision service providers. The card cannot be used at locations that do not offer services under the plan. If you attempt to use the card at an ineligible location, the transaction will be denied.

When do I need to submit a receipt to substantiate my FSA Debit Card transaction?

When necessary, you will receive a Receipt Notification from TaxSaver Plan by email or postal mail. If you do not receive a Receipt Notification, you do not need to submit a receipt. However, you should always retain receipts for your records. The timing of the Receipt Notification depends on your employer’s plan.

What transactions should NOT require a Receipt Notification?

1) A transaction (payment) amount that equals the amount of a single co-payment or of multiple co-payments. If the amount equals more than 5 co-payments under your plan, a Receipt Notification

will be sent.

2) A transaction (payment) for prescriptions and/or eligible over-the-counter items purchased at an approved pharmacy or through an approved mail order provider. Approved pharmacies include major chains such as Walgreens, Wal-Mart, CVS, Rite-Aid, Target and major grocery store chains. For a complete listing of IIAS retail stores, please visit TaxSaver Plan’s website at www.taxsaverplan.com.

3) A recurring transaction (payment) for the same provider in the same amount as a previous FSA debit card transaction (payment). Important Note: You must submit an itemized receipt or EOB for the transaction (payment) the first time it occurs. For example, let’s say you pay the orthodontist $135.00 every month. In January, you charge the $135.00 to your FSA debit card and you submit a receipt for that first transaction. Future charges to that provider in the exact same amount will not require Receipt Notification for the remainder of the plan year.

What qualifies as a receipt?

A receipt is an itemized statement from a third party provider that includes the date the service was rendered (not date of payment), and the type of service provided. For pharmacy transactions, the name of the prescription or the over-the-counter items purchased must be listed by name. An explanation of benefits from your insurance carrier also provides the necessary information in most cases.

What should I do if my FSA debit card is denied?

If you have services rendered at a location that does not accept the FSA debit card or if you choose not to use your card, then you may submit receipts with a completed and signed claim form directly to TaxSaver Plan for reimbursement.

If your card is denied when presented for payment, please contact TaxSaver Plan’s customer care department for assistance.

Who should I contact if I lose my FSA debit card?

You should contact TaxSaver Plan at 214-559-0472 or 800-328-4337 or csr@taxsaverplan.com. There is no charge to re-issue lost or stolen debit cards.

What happens if I use my FSA debit card for an ineligible expense?

A transaction will be considered ineligible if it is used to pay for any service, prescription, or other item not covered by your plan, if it has an ineligible date of service, or if a receipt is not received within the requested timeframe. TaxSaver Plan will then send you a request to either reimburse the plan for the dollar amount of the ineligible expense or provide appropriate documentation to substantiate the expense. If the substantiation or payment is not submitted in the requested time frame, your card will be temporarily shut off.

What If I have questions about the FSA debit card?

All questions and concerns should be directed to TaxSaver Plan at 214-559-0472 or 800-328-4337 or csr@taxsaverplan.com.

What if I have an unresolved unsubstantiated FSA Debit Card transaction after the run-out period?

After your Employer’s run-out period has ended, a report will be released that identifies those participants with remaining un-substantiated FSA Debit Card transactions from the prior year. Under IRS regulations, your Employer is required to take action on the unsubstantiated amounts. You can expect to be contacted by your Employer, or Ex-Employer if you have been terminated during the year in regards to these amounts. We STRONGLY suggest that you keep your account in good standing to avoid a 1099 or other form of action.

What happens if I terminate coverage?

At the time of termination, the FSA debit card is permanently deactivated and can no longer be used. If you elect COBRA for the FSA health plan, you will not be able to use your FSA debit card after your date of termination.

TaxSaver Plan's App

TaxSaver Plan has created a Mobile App for iphone and Android devices for your convenience. You may obtain balance information from the App as well as submit a claim and review claims previously submitted. Debit Card transactions are also listed on the App. You will use the same login as you use on the TaxSaver Plan website to access your FSA account information on the App.

Additional Helpful Information

1) No FSA debit card transaction amount can exceed the amount available in your current account balance. The card will be denied at the point of sale if it is swiped for more than what is available under your plan balance. Instead, you will need to pay for the transaction out-of-pocket and then submit a receipt and your completed claim form to clear out your account balance. However, pharmacies should accept partial payments on the FSA debit card. You may verify your available balance at www.taxsaverplan.com 24 hours a day.

2) The dollar amount available on your FSA debit card always reflects the current plan year. You should avoid using the card to pay for expenses incurred in a prior plan year. For example, if your plan year ends 12/31/13 and you receive a bill from your provider in January of 2014 for services rendered in December of 2013, you should not pay the provider with the FSA Debit Card. If you receive a bill from your provider during the runoff period and you have a remaining plan balance from 2013, you submit a completed claim form and an itemized statement from the provider to TaxSaver Plan during the run-out period. You will receive reimbursement for eligible expenses up to the remaining balance available in the previous plan year. Reimbursement will be in the form of a check or direct deposit depending on which method is offered under your employer’s plan.

3) If your employer offers the 2 ½ Month Extension, please contact TaxSaver Plan’s customer care department to find out if your FSA debit card will split transaction amounts between plan years. The Annual FSA Statement sent to you by TaxSaver Plan during the last quarter of the plan year also contains this information.

4) Please submit your receipts to TaxSaver Plan:

•Via mail to PO Box 609002 Dallas TX 75360

•Via fax to 214-528-8122

•Via email to claims@taxsaverplan.com

•Via online submission at www.taxsaverplan.com

•Via Mobile App submission